225g unsalted butter at room temperature
225g caster sugar
225g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon vanilla essence*
4 large eggs
Up to 4 tablespoons milk
* Or other flavours such as orange or lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 160oC. Grease two sandwich tins and/or line with baking parchment. Alternatively prepare your tray bake tin.
- Place all the cake ingredients except for the milk in a food processor (or mixer) and blend until smooth.
- While the mixture is still blending add up to 4 tablespoons of milk - adding them one at a time and stopping once the mixture is a soft, dropping consistency.
- Share the mix equally between the prepared tins and bake for around 30 minutes, or until the cakes are firm and coming away from the sides of the tins.
- Turn out on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Sandwich together with some jam (and possibly cream)
- A little icing sugar dusted on the top looks beautiful
If icing - cover with some warmed apricot jam and any ready-made icing, following the instructions on the pack. I usually use ready to roll icing trimmed around the bottom with a ribbon.