Popular Posts

Gingerbread Men, Bunnies, Flowers and Dogs

A rainy Saturday afternoon, so stormy that even after donning wellies and raincoats for some puddle jumping we were swiftly driven back inside. Saturday afternoon baking it is then. I was inspired my friend Liz who had made me smile by bringing delightfully titled 'pox biscuits' round. Her kids have the chicken box and are a little housebound so lots of baking going on there this week - they were yum. We are both Mary Berry fans and they were the gingerbread men recipe from her Baking Bible - which I hadn't yet made.

I followed the recipe faithfully but added a third teaspoon of ginger as I wanted to pack more of a ginger wallop. As its all over internet I don't feel too bad about re-posting it here.

Ingredients
150g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsps ground ginger
100g Margarine (I used butter)
175g light muscovado sugar
4 tablespoons golden syrup
1 egg beaten
Currants to decorate
Method
Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Lightly grease 3 baking trays
Measure the flour, bicarb and ginger into a bowl, run on the marg/butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs then stir on the sugar. Add the syrup and beaten egg then mix to form a smooth dough, kneading lightly with the hands towards the end.

Divide the dough in half and roll out one half to about 5mm thick.

Cut out with shapes of your choice. I soak currants in hot water before baking so they don't burn.

This is a link to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment