Popular Posts

Soft & Hard Boiled Eggs & Poached Eggs

I use this little blog as my virtual recipe book so humor me in putting this simple recipe here. One of things I've learn't is the Junior Gingerbreads love a 'dippy egg' and this way works every time and saves me the disappointed children look when they open the egg and its not soft boiled. From what I've read room temperature eggs are the best. Mine are always from the fridge as usually this is a last minute decision for a weekend breakfast or weeknight supper.

Method
Bring enough water to the boil to comfortably cover the eggs.
Put the eggs in for one minute.
Turn the heat off and put a lid on and time for a further 6 minutes.

This gives perfect dippy eggs. If you want them firmer simply don't open them straight away and leave for an extra minute.

For hard boiled - follow the same approach, boil for 1 minute then reduce the heat for a further 6 (7 if you want them firmer).  I've read that cooling them rapidly stops a dark ring forming around the yolk - you do this by putting into cold water for around 3 minutes and peeling immediately so they continue to cool.

For poached eggs -  add a splash of vinegar to the water and 'swirl' with a spoon. Crack the egg's into the water and time for three minutes. Removed with a slotted spoon and drain as much water as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment