Optional extras include adding a teaspoon of mixed spice, boosting the marmalade and reducing the sugar to get it extra 'orangy'. If you have a favourite type of tea then swap that for the Earl Grey. I found a few dates an especially nice addition. Actually, thinking about it, this is really a tea loaf template that you can mess about with a bit.
|Fruit soaked over night in tea|
1 cup cold black tea
8 oz mixed dried fruit
8 oz self-raising flour
4 oz superfine sugar
1 large beaten egg
2 tablespoons orange marmalade*
- Soak the fruit in hot tea for at least a couple of hours (over night is great)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- Mix together the dry ingredients, then add the marmalade and beaten egg
- Add the fruit, including any tea not soaked up
- Pop into a greased loaf tin (1.5 pound)
- Bake for 1 hour
*Embarrassing notes #1 & #2 - don't try and mix in Marmalade straight from the fridge. Also, I ended up using multiple teaspoons as a tablespoon didn't fit in the jar!
I've been making this for years and don't have the provenance, just some scribbles in the back of an old notepad.