I love making food that has vegetables inside, making serving it up to the family easier. I add peas and sweetcorn to the fish fie to round it out. This dish is best made in advance - it definitely tastier if it has a while to sit.
1 diced medium sized onion
5 peeled potatoes, quartered then boiled
1 packet of fish pie mix (mine was 390g)
600 ml milk (mine is semi-skimmed)
2 hard boiled eggs
Half a vegetable stock cube
400g Frozen peas & sweetcorn
100g and a Knob of butter
50g plain four
2 bay leaves
1. Peel the potatoes, quarter and boil and then mash with a knob of butter.
2. Boil and peel the eggs.
3. In a large pan fry the diced onion until soft and add the milk. Once warmed through add the fish, parsley and bay leaves and poach for around 8 mins. Whilst this is cooking, microwave the peas and sweetcorn.
4. Drain the fish, keeping the poaching liquid.
5. Sauce time - melt the butter in a pan and then add the flour - mixing continuously - then cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the cooling poaching liquid a little at a time until its all in and keep mixing until you have a smooth sauce. It should coat the back of the spoon and takes about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. If too thick add some milk if too thin add some flour.
6. Remove the bay leaves. Add the fish and onion mixture and the cooked vegetables to the sauce and gently combine - avoiding breaking up the chunks of fish.
7. Spoon the mixture into a large oven proof dish and gently combine the chopped boiled eggs at the end.
8. Pop the mashed potato on the top and then fluff the top with a fork so it can crisp up in the oven.
9. Bake for 40 minutes at 180c in a fan oven.