We love taco's, wraps and fajitas our house. Recently Mr Gingerbread-man and I have been on a healthy eating re-set and we still want the kids to eat the calories and nutrition they need at the same time. This is great as it swaps higher fat mince beef for turkey mince and the wraps for lettuce leaves. That way you have one meal that keeps us all happy. Even though this packs a definite chili heat, it isn't over powering and the kids loved it. This makes easily two each with a bit left over. I don't use reduced fat cheese as I'd rather have 'proper' food and eat less of it - that is a perfectly valid extra option you could use to further reduce your calorie intake.
1 packet turkey mince - I used 500g as that was the standard pack
1/2 cup of water
1 tin of chopped plum tomatoes
1 diced onion
1 large grated carrot
1 chopped pepper - green is great - we pre-cook our a little in the microwave
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
An iceberg or romaine lettuce
1 packet of wraps - the 50/50 wheat and white ones add an extra bit of goodness
1. Cook the onion until soft then add the peppers
2. In a large pan cook the mince, draining off any fat
3. Add all of the other ingredients to the mince and cook until the carrot is tender
4. Grate enough cheese to sprinkle on the top
HINT: remove any extra liquid to avoid drips down tops!
5. Pop the pan on the table and let everyone add the taco filling to their wrap or lettuce leaf, add a sprinkling of cheese, roll up and enjoy. For the wraps I tuck the lettuce leaf inside as the crunch is great and a little extra fresh food into the kids - they roll up really easily.
6. Watch out for sauce dripping out of the bottom
Based on this recipe.