Popular Posts

Everyday Cornbread

Its funny what inspires you to try out a recipe - in this case it was the dish it was baked in. I have one just like it my Grandma gave me. If you follow the link the the recipe here (by the way this is a great cookery blog) you will see they are very similar. Serves 8, keeps well and is in easy american cup measurements. I'll update the recipe after the next batch which I'm going to try with self raising flour - with 4 teaspoons of baking powder this had way too much of a rise on it.




Ingredients
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup plain flour
¼ cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder - level
½ tsp salt
1 cup milk (I used semi skimmed)
1 large egg
¼ cup vegetable or canola oil

Method
- Grease an 8" Pyrex dish or cake tin and pre-heat the oven to 180c (the original recipe temp translated to 220c but this was way too hot in my fan oven and over did the first attempt)
- Weigh out and mix together the dry ingredients and then repeat in a separate bowl for the wet ingredients
- Combined the two and mix until just smooth (apparently a few lumps won't matter)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and on the top




No comments:

Post a Comment