Popular Posts

Proliferation of plums

We were given a Victoria Plum tree as a wedding present (an idea I'm going to adopt for future use myself).The tree has, in turn, presented us with a delightful bounty of plums this year despite being small, albeit all ready at once. After one fatality I had to prop the limbs up to stop the weight of the fruit snapping them. 


I divided the plums into three grades. The nicest third for eating, the middle third for baking and the slightly sad but still usable third for experimentation.


Starting with the latter, I made my first ever jam. Two humble pots of plum jam were produced and turned out, well, very jam like. I'm incredibly proud of them sitting on their shelf in the fridge looking a lovely deep red colour. Tastes lovely too, not too sweet, nice and lively on the taste buds.


Plum Jam
1 kg plums, washed, pitted, halved (I halved this to get my two jars).
700g sugar


Method
Place the fruit in a bowl and add the sugar. Allow this mixture to stand for 8 to 10 hours.
The next day place fruit and syrup in a saucepan and cook over low heat. Stir every once in a while with a wooden spoon. Allow it to boil for around 20 minutes. It must reach 105°C.
If fruit is still too chunky, either mash it with a fork or spoon or use an electric hand held mixer to make the jam smoother.
Fill jam in sterilized jars. Seal and store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment