Popular Posts

Bonfire Night Hot dog Onions

Odd colour, great taste
We held a joint Bonfire Party this year. My friend Hannah (AKA Pudding Queen) cooked the sausages and an amazing dark ginger cake in her Aga. I did the Onions and Elephant shaped sugar cookies. Onions are not quite in the same league I know but I made them count (and they were easy to transport). In my efforts to lift the mundane to more interesting I spent 5 minutes with my friend Mr Google and it was American style hot dog onions here come.
On the up side they were lovely and made onions far less boring and had a great kick, on the downside they tripled their usual calorific content. They definitely make my 'do again' list though.
Note: The recipe I used was in American cup measures and called for one cup of ketchup, way too much for me to get my head around. 

American Style Hot dog Onions
Ingredients
1kg Onions
4 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup (I used low sugar low salt version)
2 tablespoons Sugar
Water
Salt and Pepper
Paprika
Cayenne pepper (optional)

Chop onions, pop in a deep frying pan. Add everything else and enough water to almost cover the onions. Simmer until soft. Season to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment