Popular Posts

Pearl Barley, tomato and Coriander salad 'Southwestern Barley Salad'

I'm so excited by this salad - I just can't get enough of it for lunches at the moment. It is soooo good. I take this to work - two large portions to keep me going all day or three smaller ones. Its great as a bring along at a BBQ or family gathering and super as an alternative side dish to fish or oven baked chicken.





Ingredients
1 cup uncooked barley
1 cup cooked sweetcorn (I use frozen, tinned is fine)
1½ cup cherry tomatoes (about 12), quartered
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander
4 thinly chopped spring onions
Juice of 2 large limes
¼ cup olive oil (or a bit less, see how you get on)
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste - I put quite a lot in to give an extra peppery heat

Method
Cook the pearl barley according to the instructions on the packet and let cool (I rinse mine under a cold tap)
Cook the sweetcorn if you are using frozen and cool
Chop the coriander, tomatoes and spring onions
Mix gently together all the ingredients in a large bowl
Add the olive oil and lime juice
Season

Recipe based on this one - actually almost the same just 'anglicized', without the sugar and more pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment